Saturday, March 12, 2011

Grrr!

I major fail at this. I tried writing the rough draft of this Oliver story, but I kept getting so self-conscious.

It just sounded stupid. Like, no flow in the sentences or harmony of the words.

I tweeted about my frustration this morning. Though I can't say I'm surprised, I'm a little bummed nobody replied with words of encouragement.

I don't mean I expected some cushy coddling. I just wanted to hear from someone that it's okay for rough drafts to sound a little stupid, to feel unfinished. Everything can be fixed later. It doesn't have to be like magic right away, and that's okay.

All plainly obvious enough, it may seem, but all this is new to me. Actually writing fiction; it turns out it's harder than you might think. And, again, I feel so, so self-concious.

I'm prolly overthinking all this. Like, way overthinking. As I mentioned yesterday, I need to give myself a chance. Put one word after another.

That reminds me of some advice someone once gave me: make the goal as simple as filling up the page, a word at a time even.

I'm gonna have a long wait before I get where I'm headed. Maybe that'll be a good time to try out that advice.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment