Sunday, September 11, 2011

Suck-Struck.

I hit a bit of a sticking point in the 'new' poem last night; I was working on that damned second stanza and BLAMMO! suckitude struck.

I'm not totally surprised, mind you. There originally wasn't a second stanza; I mean originally it was just a hodgepodgery of lines with no stanzas to speak of, but that's beside the point. Somewhere between draft 0.5 and 1.0, I decided to fiddle with a three stanza setup; somewhere after draft 1.0, I figured I'd try a sorta A B A' layout--there'd be A, then the turn which shifted the conceit in B, then a 'resurgent if disillusioned' return of A in A'. (Hoo-rah music theory....)

This puts a lot of pressure on B; it has to be different, revealing, but still fit.


And I think that's the problem. See, When I separated out these "stanzas" originally, there wasn't much at all for the second stanza. It was, like, 4 lines long. So, naturally, I brainstormed up a buncha new lines, knowing most of them'd be crap, of course, but planning to work them in and lovelyify it later.

And, see, it's proving a bit difficult. It doesn't really fit, I fear, and even still I was struggling to pull together what was good, eliminate/rephrase what wasn't, and otherwise revamp that stanza, but just not managing to. Maybe I was stressed or something.

I think I need a solid freewrite and then approach my edits from last night anew. Can't be too hard, can it? 0.o

No comments:

Post a Comment